School
5134 Baltimore
Kansas City, Missouri 64112
Phone: 816-531-6200
Fax : 816-531-8045
Church
5141 Main Street
Kansas City, Missouri 64112
Phone: 816-753-7422
Fax : 816-753-5505
Visitation - a Catholic Community

Visitation History Timeline

Visitation History Timeline

 

1909

Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Parish was established and temporarily called "The Catacombs."

1911

The first mass in Visitation's new building was celebrated on January 1. 

1915

The cornerstone of Visitation's third church was laid June 6 at the present site. 

1917

The new church was dedicated with approximately 60 families in the parish and the church seating 300.

1919

A Parish house was constructed north of the church.

1920

The church's main altar and communion rail, donated by Mrs. Thomas J. Pendergast, was added.  The church chimes, a gift from E. J. Sweeney, were dedicated November 30.

1921

Construction began on the parish school that was staffed by Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet and served 35 pupils in grades 1 to 5.

1923

A lot south of the school was purchased in May for a playground.

1929

The school expanded with an addition.

1932

The Visitation Shamrocks athletic teams started competing in basketball, football, and baseball.

1934

The parish census was 270 households and 1,064 individuals.

1937

The school opened its first kindergarten class.

1940

A gymnasium was added to the school and dedicated on November 19.

1947

In November ground was broken for a new 18 classroom school.  A convent just south of the church was completed in December.

1954

St. Anne's Chapel was completed and dedicated in April.  It held 700 people for extra masses.

1959

Visitation reported a census of 2,075 individuals.

1973

St. Anne's chapel, now renamed Tighe Hall, was remodeled into a multipurpose parish hall and continued to serve as a secondary worship space.

1973

Visitation commits to a 5 percent Tithe to the Poor.

1974

A complete renovation of the church closed it from January 2 to May 19.

1980

Tighe Hall was updated and the parish offices expanded.

1984

Parish census at Visitation shows 3,290 individuals living in 1,080 households.

1985

A total renovation of the school was completed and dedicated November 3.

1988

Visitation began its current relationship with sister parish in San Salvador Santa Maria, Madre de los Pobres.

1990

Parish clergy moved into the former convent and the former rectory is given over completely to the parish offices.

1995

Visitation had outgrown its facilities and a planning process was started to renovate and expand the school and church.

1996

Visitation School celebrated its 75th anniversary.

2001

The renovated school was dedicated.

2002

Church renovation was started and the parish community began Sunday and weekend worship in the school.

2004

The renovated church was dedicated on June 10.  The parish census showed 3,467 individuals in 1141 households.

2009

Visitation began its centennial year with a census of 1,255 families and 3,833 individuals. 

2014 Visitation retired its debt from the 2001 school and 2004 church renovations.

 

Our Buildings Over Time

The first church, also known as "The Catacombs"


1911 foundation

The church in 1911, the foundation for a the current church

Visitation Church, 1919

 1921 school

The first Visitation School,

built in 1921

 

 School today

Visitation School today 

 

Church exterior

Visitation Church today